5.03.2007

White Wonder Yawns (Ursus maritimus)

One of our favorite animals at the zoo is the Polar Bear. They are just massive but look so soft and cuddly like a stuffed animal that would be lying at the end of your bed like a protector. Well this one, was located at the Bronx Zoo in NY. I took so many pictures there, I'll be publishing a few over the next week or so.

Because of the distance between us and him, a distance I'm happy to have had, I used a 300mm lens to get close. I set the camera to focus on the smallest object (him) and continuously refocus as I moved and the bear moved. This way, the main subject was always in focus and didn't get missed by accidentally focusing on the background from the bears movements. Check your camera and see if you have these settings.

Factoids:

  • Polar bears rank with the Kodiak bear as among the largest living land carnivores
  • Most adult males weigh 660-1320 lbs
  • Adult females are roughly half the size of males and normally weigh 330-660 lbs
  • The raccoon and bear families are believed to have diverged about 30 million years ago
Referenced Facts: Wikipedia

No comments: