8.02.2007

The Spotlight! - Introduces J.S. from CT

Name: J.S.
City/State: Old Lyme, CT

How did you get started with photography?
My Mother took lots of pictures and I copied her example. I recall selling newspapers and saving my allowance to get my first Brownie film camera.

How long have you been taking pictures?
Ever since I was 11 years old when I took pictures of my horses on the Farm and had to send them away to be developed. It was always a thrill to get the pictures back in the mail.

What kind of camera do you shoot with the most?
Fugi S7000.

How many cameras, both film and digital, do you own?
One camera now, but looking forward to getting a new camera with a telescopic lens to take close
ups of beautiful birds in flight.

What do you appreciate most about photography?
It makes you more aware of the beauty everywhere. When I focus my camera lens on animals, flowers, landscapes, butterflies etc. I feel a spiritual connection to what I am capturing on my digital camera. I would not have noticed such things such as the beautiful colors of the butterfly wings before.

How often do you take pictures?
Daily because you never know when a rainbow, cloud formation, animal etc. is going to be available for a new picture.
What advise would you give someone if they asked you about photography and getting started?

Always be ready for the next perfect picture with your camera nearby.

For example, I took a picture of two cats touching paws outside their cages
at a Cat Benefit. It looked like a High Five between the cats. I think part
of the fun of photography is the matting and framing to best compliment your
picture. You can be as creative as you want using your digital camera.

What are your current hobbies/interests?
Restoring old family photos, keeping up with animal protection issues via the internet such as banning horse carriages in NYC. I enjoy going to yard sales to pick up towels and blankets for the Humane Society and other animal rescue organizations. I also found a Brownie Camera just like I owned at a yard sale.

What is your current profession?
(Not employed) Anyone looking for a photographer?

How did you hear about this website?
I saw your blog in The Norwich Bulletin and have been enjoying it ever since.

No comments: